Pictures of many locations on the North Coast of California, including the giant redwoods, the national parks and towns in the Eel River Valley

All About Fortuna, the Friendly City!

Over 2,000 images of this wonderful Northern California place we call home.


Home :: Login
Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search




Home > Album: Historic Images of Fortuna and the Area

main008.jpg
Main Street995 viewsLooking east on Main Street from 11th Street.
Art Ray picture
main009.jpg
Main Street967 viewsLooking east on Main Street from 11th Street.
Art Ray picture
main_at_13th.jpg
Main Street at 13th, 1920s1016 viewsIt's the 1920s and we are looking west on Main Street from where the Post Ofice is today. See what it looks like today.
martins_ferry.jpg
Martin's Ferry1062 viewsIn the vicinity of Weitchpec on the Klamath River, probably photographed around 1910. The ferry followed that overhead cable. Ericson Photograph Collection, Humboldt State University Library
may_1912.jpg
Primary Room, Fortuna Grammar School, May 1912934 views
monroe02_1024.jpg
Monroe House957 views
monroe_cider_works.jpg
Monroe Cider Works974 viewsOriginally established in 1887 to produce carbonated temperance beverages, John W. Monroe's Fortuna Bottling Works found its niche six years later by converting the area's many grade apples into sparkling champagne cider. By helping the apple growers he made himself a rich man, exporting his product into Oregon and supplying wholesale houses as far south as San Francisco. The plant also produced carbonated vinegars, Weiland lager beer, ale and porter; also manufactured apple butter and pure cider vinegar. This building was located at the southeast corner of 12th and L Streets. By 1926 it had been replaced by a foundry and machine shop, and today the area used as the parking lot across from Goble's Fortuna Mortuary.
monroe_house.jpg
Monroe House1000 views
mudgett.jpg
Dr. Mudgett's House1393 viewsStill there, on 9th, between N and O Streets.
mudgett_bridge.jpg
Van Duzen River Bridge at Highway 36 and Highway 101 (1991)1135 viewsThe railroad bridge (Eureka Southern in 1991, the time this was taken) dates back to 1913. The center bridge was built in 1924 to replace the 1901 bridge.
And what a story! On November 20, 1924, flood conditions, combined with the battering of large drift material, washed the footwork from beneath the south and middle arches, as well as from beneath the south half of the north arch, causing the crown of the recently-poured north and south arches to deflect. This same flood also destroyed the elevating tower (used to pour the concrete), necessitating construction of a new one, and, in its early stages, also washed out the detour bridge.
With the detour bridge washed out, traffic was diverted along the south bank of the Van Duzen River to the Eel River, across the Eel on the Weymouth Bridge to Grizzly Bluff, and then back across the Eel again, on the East Ferry Bridge to Fortuna. This detour was in effect for two days, when the East Ferry Bridge washed out. Traffic was then detoured from Grizzly Bluff to Ferndale, then back across the Eel River to Fernbridge and on to Fortuna. This lasted just one day until the Weymouth Bridge washed out. Clearly, nature seemed to be getting out of hand.
The 1924 span was originally constructed for two lanes of opposing traffic, and was converted to two northbound lanes in 1952, following construction of the new southbound bridge. In 1974, the bridge was restricted to a single northbound lane because of the high accident rate resulting from the narrow lanes on this bridge. This was then the only single-lane section within a 104-mile stretch of Highway 101. When it was later rebuilt it was upgraded to current design standards including a bike lane.
Because of the span's characteristics and other factors, the bridge was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
museum_early.jpg
Depot Museum in Fortuna's Rohner Park961 viewsHmmm.... looks a bit short... it IS short. This is what it looked like before the freight storage addition was added to make more room for the Museum's contents.
music_mart_opening.jpg
Fortuna Music Mart Grand Opening661 viewsIt's 1954, and Loyd Anderson has cut the ribbon on his brand new store just for musicians. And, nearly sixty years later, the business is still thriving. The original location (in this picture) was on Main Street across from Rohner Park. The business later moved a few blocks west to a more spacious location, and is now located in the historic Star Hotel building at 1040 Main Street. This picture comes to us courtesy of Nicky at Fortuna Music Mart.
newburg.jpg
Newburgh Mill Town1092 viewsThe Eel Valley Lumber Company (page contains link to hi-res picture) was located in a valley north of Fortuna. This same road today leads to the Headwaters Preserve.
newburg_1024.jpg
Eel River Valley Lumber Company at Newburg1156 viewsThe web site contains more information on the history of this mill and also a higher resolution version of this picture.
From the May 30, 1896 edition of the Eel Valley Advance, a Fortuna newspaper:
"This company was organized in 1883. When the organizers, E. Cousins, C. H. Heney, E. J. Dodge and H. D. Cousins resolved in the above stated year to invade new territory they perhaps little realized the magnitude to which the venture would grow in a little more than ten years. E. Cousins retired from the corporation because of other and numerous demands upon his time and attention, and Mr. Heney was removed from it by Death's demand. Today the Eel River Valley Lumber Company ..." more
newell&mcintyre.jpg
Newell & McIntyre Store961 viewsThis store was located on the east end of the Star Hotel, 11th and Main Streets. The original business, established in 1881, was called Greig & Ferrier, and was the Fortuna agents of Wells, Fargo & Company. Messrs. Newell, a five-year employee of the firm, and McIntyre, bookkeeper at the Springville Mill, assumed the business in September, 1895. McIntyre's old bosses, Swortzel and Williams, also owned the Fortuna Merchandising Company across the street. McIntyre was a native of Michigan and lived on Annie Street (O Street today, between 6th and 7th Streets)
northward_1024.jpg
A Very Unusual Picture of Fortuna1311 viewsHere's a view you don't see too often in these historic pictures. The photographer climbed up to the top of the high school building, pointed the camera north at the grade school and recorded the view for us. The high school was located at what is now the Fortuna Middle School in the 800 block of L Street. That's the Springville Mill at the extreme left of the photo. On the extreme right, by that tear, is the Lane House, and a block west and across Main Street is the two-story meeting hall at the 9th Street intersection (aha, so that's why 9th Street used to be called Hall Street!). It has what appears to be a radio antenna on the roof. That building is now used by Low's Furniture.
oconnor.jpg
O'Connor Residence967 views
parad1.jpg
Rodeo Parade, 19421127 viewsIt was a little soggy as the Fortuna Ben Franklin Store cowgirls showed off their finery in front of Bank of America (the old Bank of Italy) located at Tenth and Main Streets.
parad2.jpg
Parade, about 1920997 viewsThe Fortuna Volunteer Fire Department on Parade. That big building in the background is the grammer school. We're on Main Street at about 10th, looking west. Note the road was not yet paved even though it was the main highway to the south end of the county.
patricks_point__1024.jpg
Patrick's Point 19952615 viewsViggo Andersen most likely had no idea he'd soon make history in America when he left his family's home in Germany following World War I -- but he did just that as the first ranger/caretaker of Patrick's Point State Park north of Trinidad.
The decision to leave his home wasn't an easy one, but ... continued
155 files on 8 page(s) 7